Saturday 10 January 2015

Chivalry In Non-Binary

I don't know if its the patriotic British in me that gives me my fascination with royalty and nobility and knights or if its something else but I do. I love the whole highness thing, right down to chivalry. When most people think of chivalry, probably thanks to Americans who have no history of monarchy or knights, think of men holding doors open for women. Ironically a knight would never hold the door open, not out of disrespect but the footmen (normally two out of the household's valets) would be the ones to hold open the door for noblewomen or gentlewomen. As footmen are valets not knights they would not be considered chivalrous and it would be unheard of an knight, a low noblemen, doing the work of a valet. 

So what is chivalry? Chivalry is a code of conduct that knights practised based on honour, valour, bravery, religion and morality. None of these things are not bad things, I believe that chivalry can still exist today within British culture. I also believe atheists can be chivalrous without having a religion. The code was ten simple steps.

  1. Thou shalt believe all the Church teaches and shalt observe all its directions.
  2. Thou shalt defend the Church.
  3. Thou shalt respect all weaknesses, and shalt constitute thyself the defender of them.
  4. Thou shalt love thy country in which thou wast born.
  5. Thou shalt not recoil before thine enemy.
  6. Thou shalt make war against the infidel without cessation and without mercy.
  7. Thou shalt perform scrupulously thy feudal duties, if they be not contrary to the Laws Of God.
  8. Thou shalt never lie, and shalt remain faithful to thy pledged word.
  9. Thou shalt be generous, and give largeness to everyone.
  10. Thou shalt be everywhere and always the the champion of right and the good against the injustice and the evil. 
I don't know if anyone here watches 'Game Of Thrones' by you will notice that Ser Jaime Lannister is often treated with disdain because he is a "kingslayer" despite that everyone wanted to kill the King. This is due to that as a knight and a member of the King's Guard Jaime took an oath to protect the King at all costs. Technically while everyone else was just in a rebellion where else Jaime was committing the greatest portrayal for a knight. One could argue that he was being the champion of right and good but remember Jaime never told anyone the reason.

As a Wiccan the code changes slightly for me. I believe we can all apply the code to our philosophical and religious believes. In modern day Britain one can be female and a knight. All knights, both male and female, can be chivalrous. Of course it is worth noting that you do not have to be chivalrous to be a knight, you just have to be bring honour and extinction to the UK. Times have changed and I believe in the common people can be chivalrous and considered such. Even those who are non-binary.

I am a pangender person. I believe that I can follow my Chivalric code. Well male knights are a Sir and female knights are a Dame we have yet to see a title suitable for non-binary people who are given knighthood. I would like to the this changed in the future but until then I shall work on being as chivalrous as I can be. I'll admit I would love the honour of receiving a knighthood but it doesn't seem that the UK have made it possible for non-binary knights. Even most applications and forms I have to fill in don't have the option of Mx. Chivalry is not just for male knights, its not even just for knights. Chivalry is for those who chosen to follow a moral code of honour, valour, patriotism and religious. I am non-binary and I am chivalrous. My chivalric code goes as followed.

  1. One shall believe all the Wiccan rede teaches and honour it always. 
  2. One shall defend the God and Goddess.
  3. One shall respect those who are innocent and defend them always.
  4. One shall love and honour the country one was born.
  5. One shall not surrender before the enemy.
  6. One shall make war against the wicked in interest of defending and protecting the innocent.
  7. One shall perform all feudal duties as all as they do not violate the Wiccan rede.
  8. One shall never lie and always be faithful to pledged word.
  9. One shall be generous and always give what they can.
  10. One shall be the Champion of The Right and The Good against The Injustice and The Evil everywhere and always.
Notice how I have used the gender neutral "one" as this is not just for non-binary people, this is for all Wiccans who would like to be chivalrous. I encourage all non-binary to make an effort of chivalry. You can not be knighted, we can not receive honours, we are trapped in a world of hatred and erasure, we need to remember to stay true to who we are. I believe that a Chivalric code can give us a sense of who to support in times of terror, in times where justice is blurred. I believe that Chivalric code will who us with extinction, will show us with honour.

I fully believe that there is nothing that prevents non-binary people from being chivalrous. Chivalry was never gendered but used commonly in a time of great sexism; however the ideals behind it are something that we should try to keep alive. Perhaps I am being too traditional but really what is wrong with defending my God and Goddess? Or protecting the innocent? Or being generous? This is what chivalry is. I am not sure chivalry is even as dead as many people claim. Looking at this I can think of many people who do chivalrous acts without even realising. I admit greed is rising while generosity is dying but this can be changed. 

I am all for equality but it is equality to support women and non-binary people to act chivalrous if they choose. I am proud to say that I am a chivalrous pangender ouman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment