Wednesday 26 March 2014

An Introduction Of Sorts

My name is Morgan Taylor Kaged, sadly that is not official yet. I have been wanted to change my birth name for years. I just never felt truly comfortable with my birth name, based on more then just gender preferences. I am seeking out a legal name change. This will quickly take place as soon as I have money. I feel more comfortable as a Morgan. It suits me better, its a name I have been fond of for years and it also expresses my culture and heritage. Its a strong Welsh name. Its also gender neutral given there are many famous Morgans on all three biological sexes. Not that this matters much to me but its nice being able to give a name and not be pigeon holed for it-I find a name can have a huge impact on how people view your gender. It seems we live in a gender world where everything is "pink for girls and blue for boys". This issue is is that this does exclude Pangenders, Bigenders, Androgynes, Genderqueer, Genderfluid, Agenders and other non-binary people because were do we fit in this perfect world of "pink for girls and blue for boys"? 

I myself consider myself a writer. I do hope to publish novels and articles which help erase this image and give positive role models and messages to others who don't fit the status quo of cis and trans. I had a hard time with my gender identity. I don't came from a discriminating home but I do come from one who is ignorant and misguided and often does not understand how gender does not equal biological sex and the difference in sexual orientations. I also went to a school which only allowed one biological sex. Because of this growing up I often felt like a freak, like there was something wrong with me, that I just wasn't normal. The internet has played a huge factor of me discovering myself as a human being. I know I am not alone and that there are people like me. I also know that I do not have to be silent and it is easier to ask questions now. I do have supporting friends. 

I have asked people close to me to refer to me as Morgan and explained my plans for a legal name change. I haven't meet much resistance and everyone has been very supportive. I haven't actually explained my gender identity in person in such and such. My Twitter and Tumblr have me stated in the bio/description as Pangender and on Facebook I changed my gender to Pangender. While I haven't used the words, all my friends have access to my Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr while my family are all added to my Facebook other then the younger members who are too young for an account. I feel I will say it in words one day but right now I am unsure and nervous and wouldn't even know where to start. I have come out about my sexual orientation though, for quite some time though. Other then ignorant comments such as "isn't that the same as bi?" or "are you sure you're not straight?" I have been accepted by family and even better by my friends. 

A lot of people are ignorant and don't understand anything beyond cisgender and heterosexual. I hope that I can help shed some light on what it is to be Pangender and Pansexual as I go though my own personal discovery. I am still fully understanding who I am and being only eighteen I probably have some time to go. Some people go into their thirties and are still unsure of themselves. The internet has helped but gender identity and sexual orientation are not simple things. They are not black and white and become complex and confusing and take some time to understand. If I help at least one person become a more accepting person free of ignorance then I will know my blog has been worth it.

When we turn on the TV or pick up a book a lot of what we see is heterosexual and cisgender people. Not that there is nothing wrong with being heterosexual or cisgender at all-I say love who you are not love who you are as long as your not heterosexual and cisgender but it would be nice for more diversity. I want to see more queer representation and more non-cis representation just as much as I would love to see more characters which do not full under the WASP category minus the P and more positive examples of religious groups. Its the same, I do not think this is the fault of the writers to an extent. I think we have normalized heterosexual and cisgender people so often that many fail to include others. I know growing up all my favourite shows included nothing but heterosexual and cis gendered people, with no accurate portrayal of sub cultures or duo cultures that many find themselves in.

Many aspects of this blog will feature many personal problems, from finding the right bathroom and to finding a place in this "pink is for girls and blue is for boys" world. It will be a journey and some parts may be triggering. I will try and feature accurate warnings before hand but I can not make any promises that this will help. Certain topics are more triggering to others and certain situations can cause unpleasant memories and PSTD symptoms if a bad memories are brought back. Non-binary and queer is not always a happy place, discrimination, intolerance and nonacceptance. There are six countries in total where being anything but cisgender and heterosexual is still punishable by death and many more where the simple way you were born is considered a crime. I am blessed to have been born in a more tolerant country but there are still many parts which are not equal, many factors which need to be considered and taken into place. It is not just there there are racial, religious and disability factors which are often not treated equally and often discriminated again. I have been in the streets with my Muslim Seedo (actually my great-grandfather but he has always been known as Seedo, the Arabic informal word for Grandfather) and we have had rubbish and abuse hurled at us in the streets.

I created this blog primary to be therapeutic in my discovery and new development as I understand who I am as person but also because I want change to happen. I want to be part of the solution not part of the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment