Monday 31 March 2014

Fan Girl And Fan Boy But What Am I?

I am not ashamed to say that yes, I am a fan. I get obsess over shows, follow the cast and crew, reblog endless scenes, scroll though thousands of meta and theories, the list could go on. But what am I? There are two terms, fan girl and fan boy. You either fan girl over something or you fan boy over something. Which is great if you are cis or trans but what about when you are not on the gender binary?

Its hard being in the fandom because non-binary fans are often overlooked. We don't full into category, we are felt out of posts calling for "all fan girls/boys", we are ignored. I don't think every fan discriminates against non-binary people but the pangender who loves their fandoms and loves to express themselves I just wish their was a more gender neutral term that was widely used. That people will recognize like they recognize fan girl and fan boy.

Maybe I am being petty, but it sucks that all my friends can add fan girl and fan boy to their profile and I have nothing to add to mine. Yes I can proudly proclaim my nerdish, my geek habits and my ability to be a dork but its not the same thing. I am more then a fan, I am in the fandom, I have such a devotion but I'll never get to show it. I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way. I have seen many non-binary users wonder what they should call themselves, how in 2014 the fact that we are still so binary biased that many non-binary fans get over looked. We are ignored, we shoved on a self because we don't "fit". We're the mismatched accessory in a bedroom that nobody likes but can't just throw it out either. 

I don't want to be ignored by the fandom that I have given so much time and love into. Its not just in fandoms, in shows we are overlooked, in books, in the media. Everyone asks for some trans characters and representation but no one ever asks for non-binary representation. We are shut out. Yes there is a cisgender bias, not privilege. I don't believe in the term and its unfair to shame people because they are cisgender. No one asked for their gender anymore then I asked for mine. 

So where do we non-binary fans fall into? Fans? It just doesn't have the same meaning and significance as fan girl or fan boy does. You tell someone you are a fan girl or fan boy there is so much about you that people know. I want some recognize and less binary terms, not everything falls under "boy" and "girl".

I have heard the term fan warrior used once by a user. They were also pangender. Honestly I love the idea and I do feel if it got recognized enough it could carry the same significance and meaning as fan boy and fan girl; its gender neutral and powerful which is a bonus.

My last two blog posts have been much smaller then I would have liked for a serious and steady blog. I promise to fix this and try for 1000 words minimum in future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment