Friday 28 March 2014

The Pronoun Game

When it comes to being a cisgender or transgender person the pronouns are simply; she or he. When you are non-binary or pangender such as myself the pronouns become a little harder. Its not as simple or as clean cut anymore and each person's personal pronouns are completely different. The most important thing with pronouns is that the person feels most comfortable and are not offended by the pronoun of choice. I always try to avoid pronouns if I can unless I know the person and their preferred pronoun. 

When it comes to myself I'm unsure what exactly my preferred pronoun is. I talk about myself a lot in the third person, when I am not writing that is. Such as this morning I went "If you need me, Morgan will be in Morgan's room." its more a force of habit then anything else. But wouldn't it be so much easier if people didn't feel compelled to use pronouns and just used Morgan as much as they could? Even then that still begs the question which pronoun do people use when this is not possible?

At the current time in my life I am not sure which pronouns I feel most comfortable with; I guess I am not to fussy which them to so means. I don't mind she pronouns and titles associated with girls however there are times where I would like he pronouns and times where I would like xe pronouns. I suppose in general I do like to swap and change pronouns based on how I am feeling that day but I don't think I would mind so much if someone called me by anything else. Currently everyone always uses she pronouns, this doesn't offend me or upset me in anyway but that does not make it easier for me. I have seen it pronouns used, honestly I think this would be the only pronoun that would offend me. It sounds so dehumanizing and horrible; do people really wish to be called it?

In whole I am as happy with she as with he as with xe and I would not object to they or other gender neutral pronouns. As long as it is left out of the picture. I am not an it I am a human being after all. It is a term for objects. However if someone specifically said they're preferred pronoun was it I would stomach my discomfort and address them as so.

Which my pronouns I understand that the concept my be confusing. I don't expect people to fully understand straight away, especially to be people whom have never come across the term pangender before. However I do only wish that people take from this the importance of asking someone what their preferred pronoun may be and to use said pronoun. While I am as happy whichever is used some pangenders and other non-binary genders may not be. Some use one pronoun. It all depends on the individual person; I by no means wish to act as a spokesperson for the standards a pangender person should be. I only speak for myself.

Sometimes I wonder if I should care more about pronouns. Ever pangender person I have come across has been addressed with a different pronoun so it is hard for me see if I am "normal" by pangender standards. If others would mock me and declare how wrong I am. I suppose that happens in every gender, there is always one that questions you and feels you are not "acting" right. It could be based on how I dress to my pronouns to my name to anything about me. There will always be one but that still doesn't give me any reassurance.

There are many different forms of gender neutral pronouns. Some people do not know this and feel the only pronouns that exist are she and he. This is far from the truth; the pronouns are;
  • He/him/his/himself
  • She/her/hers/herself
  • They/them/their/themself
  • Tey/tem/ter/temself
  • Ey/tem/ter/temself
  • E/em/eir/emself
  • Thon/thon/thons/thonself
  • Fae/faer/faers/faerself
  • Vae/vaer/vaers/vaerself
  • Ae/aer/aers/aerself
  • Ne/nym/nis/nymself
  • Xe/nem/nir/nemself
  • Xe/xim/xis/ximself
  • Xie/xim/xyr/ximself
  • Ze/Zir/Zirs.Zirself
  • Zhe/zhir/zhirs/zhirself
  • Ze/hir/hirs/hirself
  • Sie/sier/siers/sierself
  • Zed/zed/zeds/zedself
  • Zed/zed/zeir/zedself
  • Ce/cir/cirs/cirself
  • Co/cos/cos/cirself
  • Ve/vis/vir/verself
  • Jee/jem/jeir/jemself
  • Lee/lim/lis/limself
  • Kye/kyr/kyne/kyrself
  • Per/per/pers/perself
  • Hu/hum/hus/humself
  • Bun/bun/buns/bunself
  • It/it/its/itself

I am sure there are others that I have forgotten to add but here are a good deal of the pronouns that people use. As you will see I have added the horrible and dreaded it. I wanted the list to be unbiased. I feel if people are more familiar with using different pronouns it could help stamp out the ignorance that many non-binary people face. 

On Facebook it asked me to give my preferred pronoun. The only options were she, he or them. I chose them because some days I don't feel she applies and I would rather it not used. I wouldn't get upset if someone did use she on those days but I don't think I would correct them either. So far I am so unsure of how I would ask people to use certain pronouns or even to avoid them all together. How does one even start that sentence or conversation?

Pronouns are a complicated business, maybe that is why I often wonder is it really so hard as to say Morgan's room, Morgan's drink. To avoid pronouns whenever. I feel if I opened up like this some people would avoid personal pronouns as to not get them wrong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment