Monday 5 May 2014

But I Did Play With Barbie

I'm not sure if its part of the cisgender bias or the binary bias but its one of them; a lot of messages I see online involve someone complaining that many non-bianry people are lying or making them their gender identity because they don't fit the social norms of the gender they were born into. Gender has little to do with social norms at all! Gender is more to do with your mind, often how you view your body and genitals, not your basic social norms.

I am so tired of seeing pointless messages on the internet, looking at you Reddit, of claiming how even though I don't like pink or played with Barbie or wear pretty dresses I am a girl because I have a vagina, and the same with penis people. Messages claiming how even if your not touch or know a lot about cars or don't like mud you are still a boy because you have a penis. No that's not how gender works and this types of messages are nothing but harmful and discrimination. Binarism is where you have prejudice or discriminate someone who is not a binary gender. Binary gender is female or male, so this only applies to cisgengder and transgender binary people, it could also include demigirls and demiboys but I'm not too sure and seeing as I'm not one of them I don't feel comfortable deciding if they are binary or not. They do however benefit from a degree of binary bias but not as much.

Here's the thing to all the bigots out there, I did play with Barbie. My small childhood was filled with Barbie films and Barbie dolls; I even had the full Swan Lake collection when I was seven. I don't hold any dislike to Barbie and yet I still don't feel like a girl. I am not a girl because I conform with social forms; some I do but some I really don't. I am certainly not a girl because I have a vagina! Not starters not even all girls have vaginas so that is very cissexist to say at the very least. Not all girls have vaginas, not all people with vaginas are girls.

Most days I prefer to be flat chested and a penis, I prefer the male autonomy to the female one any day. This doesn't make me a boy though, I found I do favour girl clothing more so then boy clothing but also have a soft spot for boy t-shirts and hoodies. My clothing is a mix of the both, occasionally unisex because there isn't any shops for non-binary people. My autonomy does depend on my mood but I have a preference. Huh I want a penis more and I still played with Barbie; would any binarists like to comment as their whole ignorant ideology of genderqueer people falls about? I'm sorry that sentence was mean, but the point still stands. Gender norms have nothing to with gender itself! They are embedded into western culture because of the binary, cisgender and male bias to keep the status quo. My gender is for no one to decide but me.

How do I describe gender? Gender is a personal sexual identity that people have no matter the person's biological and outward sex. People define masculinity and femininity based on their background and culture. Different cultures have different behavioral, psychological and physical attributes that are associated with one binary gender or other. These are considered social norms. Gender is psychological not biological; it's the cissexist and binarist society that we live in which tells us otherwise. Gender can not be determined by the genitals. Gender can not be determined by the way a person acts. Gender can not be determined by the way we dress. Gender can not be determined by anything.

Enbies will face discrimination more because there are no social or gender norms based around our gender, there world is filtered to cater to "pink for girls blue for boys". Because we do not fit this world we are considered outsiders, we are shunned, mocked and told how we should be feeling about our gender. We are told everything we are thinking is wrong, that we just want attention and that we need the help. Binary is considered the only right gender and we are considered wrong. I hope to one day change that; I want the world to see non-binary people for what we are. People. I don't want to be questioned about gender and have it decided by a binary person who honestly feels that they know better. No one knows my gender better then me, and that goes to everyone out there.

Society tries to erase existence of those who do not fit the "pink for girls, blue for boys" world they have created. Society tries to "fix" us when there was nothing wrong with us in the first place. We have gender norms and stereotypes forced on us before we are even old enough to talk or walk. We are brainwashed and controlled and manipulated what to think about gender from the moment the doctor looks at our genitals to tell us the gender.

I played with Barbie when I was a child, I am not any less pangender. 

No comments:

Post a Comment