Saturday 26 April 2014

Regal And Royal

I had to take a break from writing my blog because I was writing an article about the racism and cultural appropriation in Avril Lavigne's new music video 'Hello Kitty' which of course took me away from my blog. No one has published it yet but I am hopeful. When I last was able to visit my blog I was talking about all the family titles I had found for those who did not fit this "pink for girls, blue for boys" world. This should be my last blog post about titles, however I am not too sure.

For an official title where is Mx, which is queer and the one I have used as my title. I have recently found out that Mx is not only short for mix but also for mixter, following the pattern of mister and mistress. I feel it follows more mister then mistress but for me it fits perfectly as a pangender individual. In any English speaking countries M is a very gender neutral title to use which is short for all titles; however in French speaking countries Monsieur so in Canada which is both an English and French speaking country using M could possibly lead to confusion. Another queer title that can be used is Misc which comes from the word miscellaneous. Personally I am not comfortable calling non-binary and genderqueer people miscellaneous, like we are randoms with no real place in the world. Another queer title is Msr which isn't really short for anything but combines both male and female titles, this is perfect for bigender people but to me as a pangender I feel it would erase parts of my gender. Mq is also a queer title which again is not an abbreviation of something. Q probably comes from queer, but I'm not sure and is following the patterns of Mr/Ms/Mrs/Miss. Ind is another title and is very gender neutral; Ind is short for individual and I feel it would be excellent for agender, neutrios, genderless or nongender who feel that other titles imply a gender. 

There was also options for an non-binary and genderqueer alternatives to the binary sir/ma'am. Comrade is a great gender neutral option however given its link to communists using it my not be the best idea. Depending on where you live there is still a lot of anti-communist hatred. Friend could also be used in replace of sir/ma'am and is very gender neutral, however it's very informal so would not always be suitable depending on the situation. Citizen and Tiz also work well in replace of and they are both gender neutral-Tiz is a shortened version of citizen. These could not be used in all settings though, given how odd it sounds in every day English speech. More queer options include Mirdam which is a combination of sir and madam. Mistdam is another queer option which is a combination of mister and madam. Sir'am is another queer option suggested with is a combination of sir and ma'am. Laddam is a queer title created by combing lad and madam together. Mir which is a term I used once on Tumblr to correct someone who referred to me as a ma'am, is a queer title. Mir comes from combining madam with sir. The list also mentions that in the military sir is used gender neutrally but for obvious reasons this could not be used outside the military as it implies male. While it was not mentioned on the list but on 'Dragon Age' ser is used gender neutrally, it reminds me of womyn and boi.

There are also royalty alternatives, some which are queer. Monarch which is used often in Britain is a gender neutral to describe someone who is a King/Queen. Ruler is another alternative which is very gender neutral term used. You can be someone's Ruler instead of their King or Queen. Sovereign is another gender neutral term that is again used often in Britain, being that we do have a Sovereign, our Queen Elizabeth 2nd. Your Majesty is a gender neutral way, and highly respected way, to address the current Monarch. There are also two queer terms one could use if we did get a non-binary and genderqueer Monarch; one was Quing. Quing is combining Queen with King. Another is Caln which is based of the K and Q sound of King and Queen.  

As there were King/Queen alternatives there was also plenty of Prince/Princess alternatives. Prin is one, which comes from Prince and Princess and is queer. I think Prin would be great for agender, neutrios, genderless or nongender and maybe could be made exclusive just for them? Its the most non-gendered term I've seen. Prinxe is another queer term I've seen used based on the Prince and Princess ending. Princet is again queer and based on the Prince and Princess endings. Princette is queer and based on the Prince and Princess endings but seeing as it sounds a lot like dudette its a good one for femme non-binary. Princev is a queer title based on the Prince and Princess endings, more Prince then Princess though. Princen is a queer title and one I have seen commonly used and based on the Prince and Princess endings. Princus is another queer title used, based on Prince and Princess ending patterns. There was one more queer term and that was Princex, a lot like Prinxe but not the same. Princex however is considered a POC term-POC is an American blanket term for People Of Colour. There were all some nice gender neutral terms that could be used as well. Your Highness is a gender neutral way of addressing royality. Heir is also a gender neutral way to address someone who will one day be the Monarch.

Now to be royal its always to the Monarch, you can sometimes be a Lord or Lady. However what happens when you do not fit into this binary system? Sovereign and Ruler were suggested again as gender neutral terms used instead. Liege is another gender neutral term which could be used as an alternative to Lord/Lady as in My Liege which I have seen used often in the media. Suzerain is a gender neutral term and the feudal equivalent to Lord/Lady which could also be used. Pontentate is also a gender neutral term which is also a Latin word to describe someone who is in power. Now if you are like me who prefers queer terms which apply only to non-binary and genderqueer folk there was two choices. Lairde, which is queer and based on the la sound in Lady and the rd sound in Lord. There was also Layde which is again queer and again based on the la sound in Lady and the rd sound in Lord.

As a 'Game Of Thrones' fan I was thrilled to find that someone had added queer terms for non-binary and genderqueers to use rather then Khal and Khaleesi. I was more then thrilled, even in my fandoms I could find a place where I do exist and belong. They were Khalsine and Khalse. I couldn't tell you which I preferred but I will have to keep them in mind for fan fiction and queer headcanon.

This will be a very controversial point and I don't mean to disrespect anyone's deity. Being Wiccan I myself worship thy God and Goddess. However the list mentioned how God is not only a male term but also a gender neutral one, my friend who is a cisgender woman calls herself God all the time. I feel foolish for missing that. There was also a queer word that someone had either found or made up, it was Goddex. Goddex was based on the God and Goddess endings, and I might take to calling Loki that as Loki has many time shape shifted into female animals and become pregnant.

While there was no mention of an alternative to male/female or man/woman there was a queer option for boy/girl. Enby, which comes from the sound NB which is an abbreviation of Non-Binary. Such as you can be an enbyfriend or an fanenby-which I have added to my Tumblr and Twitter bios.

No comments:

Post a Comment